Thursday 17 May 2012

Tutorial Two:Occupation Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging

br />
Tutorial Two:Occupation Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging.

I have chosen to do cooking as my occupation. My fieldwork one placement influenced my decision to base my power point on this occupation. I fell that cooking is a large part of our day-to-day lives, when we eat a proper meal we have the ability to function to our full capacity. I felt that cooking fitted in well with the theme of this weeks post, Doing, Being, Belonging and Becoming. During fieldwork I was involved in facilitating a cooking group.
Here I was able to see clients actively
-Doing this occupation.
-Being- re-discovering past experiences and savoring the moment.
-Belonging in a group, everyone being included in the occupation.
-Becoming- achieving goals, being able to finish cooking that meal.

Below are definitions of four terms that are important in completing an occupation.
Doing- The concept of doing includes purposeful, goal-orientated activities. Need/opportunity to keep busy, envision future time engaged in valued activities. In the power point presented above the first five photos are of individuals doing a purposeful occupation. They have started out with a goal to prepare a meal and here they are fulfilling that need.
­Being- Time taken to reflect, discover the self, savor the moment and to enjoy being with special people, simply experiencing life. Pictures six to eleven in the power point are demonstrating being. People cooking in a group situation.
Belonging- The necessary contribution of social interaction, mutual support and friendship, the sense of being included. Slides 13-17 are people cooking together, bonding and having a meal together.
Becoming- People can envision future selves and possible lives, explore new opportunities and harbor ideas about who or what they want to become. In the last few slide there are pictures of food showing the first stage of cooking, later a meal being eaten- the end product. People eating, exploring new foods, new ideas and occupations.



In order for me to be able to post all the pictures in the power point above there were certain ethical issues that I had to consider.
1.     For the original picture that I have taken I had to get permission from each person in the picture. I had to tell them why I needed the picture and that I was going to post it on the Internet. I was only allowed to post them if they allowed me to do so.
2.     With the online pictures I had to make sure that I was authorized to use them.
3.     Evidence of each source. A reference to where I got each picture.






References:

Hagedorn, R. (2000). Tools of practise in occupational therapy. A structured approach to core skills and processes. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
Wilcock, A.A. (1998b).  Reflections on doing, being becoming.  Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 248-256.

No comments:

Post a Comment